He seems mostly fine. He's generally a lazy bird so sometimes it's hard to tell when he's not feeling good, so here's the details.....
This morning his cere was a deep dark purple instead of the bright blue it normally is mostly towards the bottom of it( I hope the picture reflects that well enough)....I scooped him into my hands and I inspected him a little ...he seemed okay...clean vent, normal looking poops, appears to be eating and whatnot, but I think he could be eating more. No tail bobbing or clicking or anything. He has been talking to me less than he used to, but I assumed this was because he has Dr. Donna to chat with now? I don't know. Little dude holds a big piece of my heart so I wanted a second opinion.
The picture is from this morning....does anything about him seem off to you guys?
OMG! I made an appointment for him for tomorrow morning and then started googling things and read that it could be testicular cancer?!?!?! If it is that, is that curable or the beginning of the end? I'm SOOOO not ready for this heartbreak!
Hi, I agree with FaeryBee, that Mr. Boo is just in condition.
If it can help ease your mind, Berty, who is also currently coming into condition, was happy to pose for a picture of his cere taking on some purple
Anyways, will not hurt anyone to have a vet checkup
Craaaaap. I have a lady budgie too that is probably too young to breed...and I don't particularly want babies either, but still I have been doing all the things to let her know it's a bad time to make them so hopefully she took note. He still seems a little lethargic to me though even for him so he's still going to the vet tomorrow, but thanks for at least making me feel like it's maybe not dire....that's a HUGE relief!
I think I am doing a pretty good job at discouraging breeding? I change the whole cage toy set-up every few days because I always have even before I had two birds just to keep it interesting for the one. I have been making sure the cage is covered for at least 12 hours each night and I removed all the snugglies and anything with nesting fibers from it and switched to smaller food dishes which stopped the lady from emptying them to hang out in them.
If it comes to it, how long would you recommend they be separated for?
I know they heartily enjoy each other's companionship and I only have one larger cage and it wouldn't feel fair to leave one in the smaller cage for too long. They DO have all day freedom to leave and play among a variety of play areas I built out of a fort building kit my son outgrew so I wouldn't feel too bad if one of them had to night in the small cage until I could get a second larger one, but I feel like they would ultimately be saddened being separated long term because they have become very good pals. I had intended on having two little bros, but it didn't pan out that way!