it's not the greatest news nor the worst. They did a second x-ray and we talked about few things. One thing I mentioned to my vet which I didn't say here is that Snowy had her "cere" turn yellow right after her first appointment when she was given anesthesia. It was on her cere for few days and went away. Even though it went away, I still let them know just to see if it might be her body reacting differently to it. She said that's most likely the reason behind it.
While my vet was preparing for the x-ray she noticed that her legs weren't "wobbly." Not sure if everyone is familiar with a broken leg or femur but Snowy's leg would move all the way to the sides. This time they didn't notice any of that. That's the good news. Unfortunately, the second x-ray also showed very little to no calcification. I do want to mention that I already supplement them with calcium, naturally. I give them eggshells and she has a cuttlebone too. The only thing i didn't do is adding anything to her drinking water. I was worried that she might not like the taste of her water.
Anyways, my vet told me few reasons behind why it might of happened this way. She said the cells at the end of her bone might be "dead" so its not healing properly or it might be infection that's preventing her some healing properly. They gave me calcium powder and i'll be adding that to her water for two weeks. it has not flavour. its just white powder. For two weeks she will be in her separate cage and the third week she will be with the flock but she still won't be able to fly then either. My vet is worried that she might land rough and we end up having a delay in healing.
She told me after the third week, I can take her out to fly and observe her behaviour. If she shows signs of lifting her feet or in general pain in landing and such, we have to go in again to see the vet. this will mean she will need surgery. If I don't notice anything alarming, she's all good and won't need surgery. I saw two different vets. My first appointment was with Dr.Evan and my second appointment was with Dr. Nur. Dr. Evan initially, like mention before, didn't think surgery would benefit her because of high risk of her bones shattering. I asked Dr. Nur the same questions and she pretty much said the same stuff.
I have to plan ahead of time just in case things don't go the way I want. I also want advice. If it doesn't heal, I plan on going with amputation. Hear me out for a minute as the last thing I want is looking like a bad owner. I post pictures daily on instagram and I posted my very first picture of Snowy's leg on Dec 2nd but brushed if odd as nothing serious. From that they on, she never had any serious or alarming signs of pain or anything. I didnt think she broke her leg. It's very likely that's when she broke her foot. If we do basic math we know that if that's the case then its been months and she should've healed by now. This breaks my heart. it honestly does. I just assumed it to be a sore leg and if I was more aware of the signs, she might of healed better... I don't want her to go in surgery to fix something. I know birds heal well, but I also know they're fragile. It doesn't seem realistic to have snowy go in with surgery to "fix" the problem at this point. Snowy is the "runt" in my flock. She the tiniest and she always had problems with her health. Going in the pins or splints seems very concerning to me. She also has sensation of her toes so another side of me tells me to go with pins/splints. But, i'm worried things can turn horribly wrong. I know my vets can't guarantee me anything but I know that this surgery isn't simple either... This type of surgery seem more successful on larger birds. I don't know. It's not that I don't trust me vet... But, i'm worried as well. I'm trying to be positive. I will give an update in 3-4 weeks on her and we'll go from there.
It's your decision what you want to do if Snowy's leg doesn't heal, and you're clearly not a bad owner- birds are so good at hiding pain and you took her to the vet once you realized something was really wrong. Best of luck to you and to Snowy, I really hope the extra calcium will help her leg heal
Fatma, no one could think you a bad owner!
Amputation (though that also carries its risks) may well be the best option, and Iím sure that youíre listening to your vetsí advise and weighing up the pros and cons as best you can.
Snowy is a very lucky bird to be being given these chances of recovery.
Best of luck that the leg heals though, and you donít need to make that choice.
I'm curious on how she's getting along in her cage, moving from one area to another and using a perch? My "old school" vet has always told me that you want the animal to be comfortable "first do no harm" veterinary MD oath. If she seems seriously handicapped after the leg has healed a bit, you could consider surgery but if in another month she's moving about fairly normal, can eat drink, get to where she wants to in her cage I'd leave it go. A budgie having the whole leg amputated is lot and just removing a portion is still risky surgery. This is just my opinion. I'd love to see a video of how she gets around and movement she has with the leg.
Hello. I just wanted to update everyone on snowy. Two days ago she was allowed to fly and when she was out, I also gave the flock a bath. I noticed two bumps on Snowy. One below her eye/beak area and one more on her right leg. Her broken femur is on her left leg. I took her to the vet yesterday. I saw Dr. Evan again. He told me its cancer. That also explains the fragile bones. There's no treatment. He said amputation can give her some time but its unrealistic in her situation since she has two bad legs. I'm saddened but that's the new update. She's so young. She's on three years old. There is nothing I can do at this point which breaks my heart. I wish there were more options than waiting for her to go. I'll keep her comfortable until it's time to say our goodbyes.
Oh Fatma! I am so very sorry to hear this . Snowy is my little favorite of yours.
I know that sheíll be under the very best care with a loving mom. Let us know if you need any suggestions for making her cage more comfortable with her legs.
I know this is devastating news to you Fatma. Remember, weíre here we will support you through this.
I haven't really thought about making her cage more comfortable... Things happened so suddenly... I do have a flat perch that she can use but she prefers using the the regular perches. At the moment she uses her legs. If the lump on her leg gets too big, I will have her in a hospital cage.. Thank you..
I'm always an optimist and with animals you just never can be sure. I'd give her every opportunity to do what she wants to do. Feed her well and let her interact, if she does, with your flock. Hoping for the best for you and Snowy.