I'm new here and hope to become an active part of this community
After babysitting a budgie for three weeks, and the heartbreak after having to give him back, i decided to get a budgie myself.
My budgie is called Rowdy and he has been here for three weeks. I've bought him at a pet store, and I discovered he had a mite infection (scaly face) after i brought him home. I applied the Beophar anti parasite for small bird. I've applied it two weeks ago and in two weeks have to apply it again.
While i see an improvement in his eyes (the "warts" are gone), his cere and beak havent really improved yet. How long does it take to see improvement, do you guys know?
Besides that I noticed he was tail bobbing slightly, and so I took him to an avian vet. She told me she could not hear any anomalies in his breating and no signs of illness. But still I'm concerned that something may be wrong, cause he is still tail bobbing. Is that normal for some budgies to tail bob without being ill? He does it consistently.
The avian vet also advised to change his diet and offer him pellets. I've read about pellets, but there seems to be great discussion whether to give it to yuour bird or not. I'd like to keep an all "natural" diet. At this point he eats seed and millet, but he hasnt tried anything else yet that I offered, not even green leafy things
Is it a good idea to change his diet into 80% pellets and the rest 20% (that's what the vet said).
He is not a really active guy, even after three weeks he still sits on the same spot for most of the day. He does sometimes eat millet from my hand, but I have to keep it in there for minutes before he decides to eat it. I can't bribe him with it, since he does not go "crazy" for it. So I don't know now if he just doesn't like it, or that he's still afraid to eat it out of my hand consistently?
So many questions, but I will leave it at this for now
Any advice will be greatly appreciated