So one of our budgies always has a bad time with molts. We can generally tell when he is going to start molting, because he will start to sleep a lot more and be generally less active. We put it down to his age (6+ years from what we know).
About a week ago, our budgies had multiple night frights in the same night, so we had to keep taking the cover off and help them calm down. For that day and the day after he was completely knackered (sleeping for most of the day). Although this was probably to be expected, I noticed his poop was very watery (basically. a 2cm ring of water with a tiny amount of urates etc. in the middle). This rang alarm bells for me, so I decided to see how he was on the third day.
Thankfully, his poop returned to normal, and that day he was more active. I know that budgies like to hide illnesses, so I've been keeping an eye on him since all of this happened. What I've noticed is that his activity levels are returning to normal (the last two days especially, he's been almost back to his insane self). His poos however are sometimes quite watery (occasionally they return to normal).
In my experience, if poos are 100% off all the time then it's a sign of illness. Also, if budgies perk up very slightly but not any more then I know they are trying to hide something. I'm confused about him though. My only guesses are:
a) A bad molt is about to happen and he had a very poorly timed bad night (he is definitely been preening more over the last two weeks)
b) Something is stressing him out. Again, could well be the molt as he suffers quite badly
c) He's eaten something he shouldn't have. I've taken out a seed bell thing but it hasn't affected poops. My other option is the millet sprays we have are going off (I'm scrapping them anyway and getting new ones just in case)
d) He's picked up some kind of infection. I'm keeping a close eye on him for this reason in case any of my 'instincts' are wrong. I can only go based off knowledge and previous experience, which is why I haven't yet booked an appointment as I'm almost convinced that I'm paranoid.
Oh, also we checked him for a few things:
1) Weight - we could feel his keelbone very slightly, but we know this is normal: we have another budgie in the same situation and he is completely fine. No sharpness or anything
2) Temperature - his feet were warm - not hot or cold. This indicates to me that his body temperature is OK. If he was cold I would have immediately called the vet
3) His nostrils etc. are all clear.
4) Behaviour - when he's awake and not relaxing he is alert/chatting away to other budgies/the mirrors etc. He likes to stand on one foot and relax, so that behaviour has not changed.
5) EDIT: Diet - All of our birds are on this 'premium' seed mix (it's different seeds mixed with dried fruits). They all love the stuff and chug it down! They also get some carrot in the cage daily, as well as broccoli or spinach, and on occasion some celery (although we try to avoid it too much, mainly because it's full of water but also because of the crunching noises
). Other things we occasionally give them are strawberries, lemongrass (which is expensive and they like to chuck it off the cage) and other veggies and a bit of fruit. Again, they all like it to varying degrees (some like to fully it eat whilst others like to nibble/play with it and chuck it off the cage)
What does everyone think? My gut tells me that if he keeps having weird poops and can't find a reason why (such as a sudden appearance of pin feathers) I may well book an appointment. This situation just seems so weird to me. I've had ill budgies before, and none of them behaved like this.
(P.S. thank you for reading my long story