My budgie ("Pudgie") has some strange symptoms that have been going on for over a month now. He is about 2 years old, and has never been sick before as far as I can tell. The symptoms are:
- Feathers very stringy and disorganized looking. Pudgie drops like a rock when trying to fly (did clip his wings but that was like 7 months ago).
- Seems to be "shivering" all the time, which is noticed when holding him. Initially I thought this was nervousness, but it seems to be constant. The temp is always ~70 F in here.
- Droppings are green, liquidy, and grainy-looking (as if many specs of sand are in them)
- Lost a lot of weight out of nowhere. Could visibly see and feel breastbone.
- Less energy than usual and sleeping a lot more.
- Tail bobbing was pretty bad.
I took him to the vet, who thought it was a simple infection and put Pudgie on antibiotics (Baytril) for 16 days. That seemed to resolve the weight and energy issues somewhat, but it's a month later and his feathers just continue to look worse to me. Tail bob is still there, but he lost his tail-feathers so it's harder to see. He gained about 4 grams of weight since going to the vet (up to 39 from 35).
The vet seemed clueless about the feathers and shivering problems. I just know he never looked like that before or shivered all the time. Any ideas?
HQ Images of Pudgie
- First one old for comparison
*Note: Pink color around Pudgie's mouth is from antibiotics which he hated taking lol.