Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Is biting just a phase?

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  BirdCrazyJill 
#1 ·
Please say yes...

Bean will be 4 months old as of May 9th. He still loves attention, but the problem is putting him back :eek: whenever I try to get him off of my shoulder, his favorite spot, he will bite my finger HARD :( it's frustrating because sometimes I have things I need to get to that he can't be around (like when I'm making dinner in the kitchen) but he isn't being nice about it. He was also very bitey today when he was on me after work, he started off snuggling but then was biting at my neck and chine (and not just trying to bit off my freckles like he usually does). Just not used to this as I never had this issue with the others as babies. I know lovebirds are an entirely different species, but if anyone could tell me if they went through the same thing when their lovies were young, and around when they started to calm down the the biting (hopefully they did!) I would love to hear about it :)

Discussion starter · #4 ·
Thank you both! :) I have been saying "Ow" firmly, like a "no" command when he bites my finger like that and I try not to take my finger away because I don't want him learning that if he bites he can get his way. I have a shorter perch attached to the large door of his cage that swings out so one time yesterday I was able to kind of duck my shoulder under the perch and have him step onto that, then shut the cage door. I am going to start incorporating treats into his commands and see how well he responds to that as well. I have been praising him with a "good boy!" When he does step on my finger nicely. It's funny how they can go from being so snuggly to "in a mood" very quickly! He does like when I talk to him, but he also likes to preen my lips so I'm trying to discourage that as well, I don't want him getting in my mouth at all lol it's definitely a learning curve over here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.